Where are we now?

Where are we now?
Where are we now? Tahmoor, NSW. Updated 7th December 2011

Monday, February 28, 2011

Bec's Day 26. Neptune Islands

Today is the day I start to fullfill a life long dream (Shark Dive Day 1)

I left Port Lincoln harbour on the ‘Princess II’ with Rodney Fox Shark Expeditions at around 2:30pm on Feb 25th. Scarlett and Shane were madly waving me off from the marina. There were only 12 passengers, and I was assigned a cabin with a lovely lady named Belinda from Perth. The 6 x crew led by Andrew Fox (Rodney Fox’s son) seem so great; they treat us like friends and can’t seem to do enough for us.

Princess II along side at Port Lincoln

We were only 40min into our 5 hour journey heading out to the Neptune Islands and a pod of Common Dolphins joined us, riding along the bow wave. They were so playful and fast, looking like it was no effort at all to keep up with us. We then headed below deck for a brief on ships safety and housekeeping, it was also explained that due to the fatal attack last week of an abalone diver close by, we wouldn’t be doing the seal swim this afternoon. I was totally ok with that!

Common Dolphin

\I was really excited but at a bit of a loose end without Shane and Scarlett, not quite knowing what to do I thought I might go below and read. Not long after doing so I started to feel a little sea sick, so I moved back outside up stairs, watching the land and breathing in the fresh air. It didn’t work! Thanks to Dan the deck hand/photographer he grabbed me a sea-sick tablet, and that helped heaps.

I was then able to sit with Andrew and Patto (the cook) for about an hour looking at their shark photos, and talking about the conservation work they do. It is so amazing to hear Rodney Fox’s legacy is still being carried on so passionately by his son Andrew.

At about 7:00pm we arrived at the Neptune Islands, and there was a beautiful sunset over the seal colony awaiting us. After dropping anchor and taking a million photo’s, we had a lovely dinner with Andrew getting up and doing a talk while showing photos from the last trip that went out. There was heaps of shark action, and I could only hope we would see the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment