Where are we now?

Where are we now?
Where are we now? Tahmoor, NSW. Updated 7th December 2011

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 112. Coral Bay

"Red at night sailors delight, Red in the morning heed the warning"

We woke to a very windy and red sky this morning. The seas were up, and the whale shark dive was cancelled. There were nine very disappointed people in Coral Bay at 7:30am this morning. We re-booked for Thursday, hoping it will all be clear by then but now means we will have to travel back down from Exmouth for the day.

Everyone decided to grab a coffee at the bakery, as was too early to drown our sorrows with anything else yet. Scarlett didn't understand, and took some major talking to before she calmed down and stoped crying. Although disappointed it's for the best, no one would have had a good time out there today with the 5 metre swells.

We walked back to the van with all our gear, put on some warm clothes and discussed what we could do to salvage the day. Shane and Scarlett decided to watch a movie, while Nana and I read our books, and went for a walk to get some postcards to write.

After lunch Nana and I took Scarlett for a walk back up the shops to post our post cards, and walked back via the beach. The weather had been cold and windy all morning, and finally it was starting to clear. Scarlett was keen to take to the water, I was sure she would pop in one toe and run screaming, so we went and got her swimmers on.

I took down a chair and magazine, and it turned out the water was quite pleasant. Before I knew it, Scarlett had me in up to my knees wading through the water chasing stingrays. We counted 5 x 'whiprays' and they let us get so close Scarlett was nearly able to touch them. After an hour or so Shane, Jace and the kids turned up. The kids all got straight into some serious sand castle building.

Jai, Scarlett and Grace with their cubby house

After hours on the beach, participating in the fish feeding, making a huge cubby out of old palm prongs, catching jellyfish, and making huge sandcastles we decided to call it a day. Nana had been busy making Shane his favourite - curried sausages, and we went back and ate with everyone up at the camp kitchen.

After dinner we all played a game of soccer, had a couple of drinks, and discussed how we could best spend Nana's last dinner tomorrow night together. We move to Exmouth Tuesday and Jace, Jo and kids wont be there till Friday after Nana flys out, so tomorrow night will be their last night with her.

It turned out to be a lovely day after all, and although we were all very disappointed, we are also still very excited and hopeful about Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment